Many homeowners who have small dining rooms face the challenge of decorating and furnishing these small rooms. But this challenge will transform to an interesting work if they apply the following useful tips for furnishing and decorating the small dining rooms.
• Colors: Use light colors as they are known for giving the room an illusion of openness and making it looks larger, while dark shades make the room look smaller. You can use a bright contrasting color to accentuate light colors and this technique is very helpful especially when the color is used to highlight particular decorative items.
• Lighting: The natural lighting have the greatest impact in maximizing the space, so keep your windows as large as possible. Don’t overwhelm the window with furnishings such as curtains and don’t use dark curtains as it will allow a little amount of sunlight to go into the room. Regarding artificial light, it should be balanced between the sparkling and the over brightness. The best lighting option for small dining rooms is a small chandelier as it can make a small table seem larger. Other good choices you can go after are a dimmer switch, overhead spotlights or ceiling space lighting.
• Mirrors: Mirrors have two main functions; the first one is that they make a good use of light while the second is that they make a room seem larger. Use two or three slightly angled mirrors to reflect a single light source in order to maximize the effect of the lighting.
• Table Furniture: All your table furniture should be employed to promote conversation and this can be achieved by three tips. First, don’t put your tableware and accessories in a way that can make your guests unable to see each other obviously. Second, your stemware should be crystal since sparkling glasses have a great-looking and when they reflect in a mirror will create a feeling of openness in the dining room. Third, some sound waves absorbing materials should be incorporated into your décor.
• Dining Room Furniture: A round dining table is recommended for small dining rooms because it takes up a little floor space and at the same time it can accommodate more people especially the round tables that have a pedestal base. Instead of chunky chairs, go for armless and slender chairs as slender chairs create a feeling of space between diners.