In spite of the increasing tendency to the creative modern day furnishings, antiques still hold their unique place and distinctive value. And since the dining room includes a large number of furniture, it is the best are to place the antiques. Decorating the dining area with antique dining table, chairs, coffee table, side table, serving trolleys and cabinet will look luxurious and elegant.
The antique furniture pieces are made of wood and also there are antique dining room furniture pieces that come in a set of metallic collections. They can also be blended with modern furniture to produce the contemporary look.
And there are antique dining room furniture pieces with leather wares. You can also find cast iron antique collections which becoming very popular.
Antique dining tables are those dining tables collected from antiquity as they were used centuries ago, but still exist until now. Compared with the modern ones they are heavy and large.
Antique tables are available in a wide range of designs. You can find a large antique oak dining table or an elegant mahogany table with sleek curved legs. The actual prices for mahogany dining tables vary according to their originality, length, width, period, timber quality and color. You should choose the style of your table according to your home style. There are things you have to consider when buying a table:
1) A good antique table should have a rich veneer, honed from years of polishing and general use.
2) Examine scratches and dents in your antique table, but don’t think it is going to look like a brand new one. Since such a table must be affected by age.
3) Watch out for fake antique tables that are made much later from antique wood such as floorboards.
4) Set your budget. The price of the tables varies according to the period of the table. During the 17th century, not all people had furniture as it was considered as a luxury for the upper classes. So it was rare and that makes it more expensive. On the other hand, in the Victorian period, furniture became affordable for the middle class so it was produced in a larger numbers than before and that make it cheaper.
5) Look for the tables that have their original leaves rather than those with replacement leaves as they are more valuable.